Monday, March 6, 2017

Too Late By: C. Hoover Teaser Review (Asa)






I haven’t finished Too Late by Colleen Hoover, or as she likes for this one to be written under C. Hoover, yet but I thought I would do a mid-read review or a “Teaser Review” if you will.

Instead of doing a review about the book as a whole, I thought I would change things around and write a Character Review. I chose Asa.
I’m sure many of you who are CoHorts know a little about Asa just by hearing others, including Colleen talk about how he is the most hated character she has ever written…so far… But after reading a little about him myself, I find him to be more than just a villain. He is a very strange and different character. A villain no less, but also very perplexing. So without further adieu..


ASA






   Asa… a strong name for a strong character. I’ve heard people use strong words to describe this strong character. Hate, Loathe, Confused, Wrong, Immoral, to name a few. I have to say, I can’t disagree. Asa is a man who you can’t help but hate, but you can’t help but want more of. When you first meet him you immediately want him to go down, and go down hard.

   Nothing about him screams salvation. But as you read on, you can start to peel away layers little by little. Just enough to see that there is more to him than meets the eye.


   Does Asa make wise decisions? Probably not. It seems like every choice he makes he just wants to cause harm and gain more control. But, to him, it seems like he doesn’t see it that way. I believe he’s a bastard and loves when things go his way, but I also believe that he thinks he’s making the right choices for his future. He really does think he’s setting himself up to never settle so he can meet his ultimate goal of completely living the high life.

   He definitely knows how to love! He loves money, power, strength, and to do whatever he damn well pleases, and he’ll use whatever means necessary to attain what he loves. And that usually means brute force for him.

   His effects on the other people in his life is startling, but not surprising. They ALL pretty well fear him in one way or another and he just eats that shit up like it’s birthday cake. He loves the fear he sees in others eyes when he threatens them or just simply towers over them with his well built body. He gets off on seeing them cower into submission and honestly thinks they are being sincere with him with their respect and false love. The only thing that keeps anyone loyal or close is FEAR. And I honestly don’t think he even realizes that (at least not yet, I guess I’ll find out later).


   The words that stick out whenever anyone talks about him or even when he talks about himself are Anger, Hate, Distrust, Pain, Hurt, Scared. I have only seen small glimpses of Asa being caring and tender. I can tell that he does indeed have true love in his heart, aside from what was stated above, but I feel like he has let his want for power trump that. I have heard of how he USED to be a caring person, but that seems so overshadowed by his current life choices. It makes me so sad for him. It truly breaks my heart.

   Asa talks about his father and his past every now and then. I love that I’m getting to see a deeper side of him, and I’m really hoping I get to dive even deeper into that side, which I’m sure I will. But it also confuses me, because I am not quite sure whether he is trying to escape his past in some ways, or live up to it, or do a combination of both. The small parts I have seen of his past make me so sad for him and help me to understand why he is how he is. I’m not saying he didn’t have a choice, but I feel like he put too much trust in those situations and now his vision is clouded because of it. I feel like in his mind, he is trying to do everything right and he feels like it’s going well so far. Unfortunately, he can’t see just yet how incorrect he is.


   Colleen did a wonderful job creating such a different character to any that I have read of hers. I don’t quite understand how she was able to pull this dude out of her mind, but she did it and kudos to her for that.

  Asa was meant to be the villain, he was meant to be hated, he was meant to be confusing, and dare I say, he was meant to be loved as well? I feel like there’s so much more to Asa than the front he puts up and I can’t wait to break down all those muscly walls and figure him out.

   I hope this review gets you wondering, gets you wanting more from Asa, makes you curious to see who this man really is. I know I want more. Which is why I will be reading my little heart out to finish this amazing book that I can’t put down, and when I’m calmed down a bit from the hangover, put a full review up here for all of you to feast upon. That is, if you haven’t dove in already after reading this teaser. 






-Courtney Moctezuma

No comments:

Post a Comment