Sunday, March 26, 2017

Spotlight Sunday : Esther M. Soto


Spotlight Sunday:
Esther M. Soto





This week's Spotlight Sunday belongs to a very awesome author and friend of ours, Esther  M. Soto.

I've posted before about how much I love her Heart series, so this should come as no surprise that Esther was chosen to participate in a Spotlight Sunday.

I asked Esther a few personal questions and she was kind enough to give super honest answers. I love to get to know my favorite authors on a more personal level. See the woman behind the mask. And Esther didn't disappoint.

So without further adieu...


A Peek Into Esther's Life:



    Q: What is your name?

                        A: Esther M. Soto

  Q: What is the Title of your Work or Group?

        A: Author, The Heart Series, A time-travel Romance/Suspense

 Q: Where are you from? (Does not have to be the name exactly.)

        A: Ohio – Go Bucks! (Boricua at Heart)

Q: In what genre do you write?

       A:Time Travel Romantic suspense (had to come up with my own genre. :p)

 Q: In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book/series you just read to your friend, what would you say about it?

       A: Well, it’s hard to explain, so I say it’s a mixture of Outlander meets Fringe (or X-files). It’s insane. Like nothing I’ve ever read.

  Q: What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline, etc. Or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens?

       A: Writing is the most important part of storytelling for me. So I made sure to learn as much as I could. I’ve tried outlining but the characters wouldn’t cooperate. So, as far as a method, I’m doing what works for me. I write scenes as I see them, letting the characters guide the dialogue and action.

  Q: Have you ever written anything and thought, “The world has to see this!!”?

     A: No. LOL. But my best friend read my draft of Hold My Heart when I first wrote while doing NaNoWriMo, and she said those exact words to me. And here we are.

   Q: Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do it all yourself?

      A: Unfortunately I’m not that computer savvy, so I hired a cover designer. An editor is a must for any writer. A great editor that cares as much for the integrity of the story and characters is invaluable. I have that. Lea Burn is my word Yoda.

  Q: Who is your favorite author? Not just someone that you read a lot. I want to know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn’t do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy.

     A: Well, that’s an interesting question. I have favorite books. Books I’ve read that have made an incredible impact, and never left me. Deborah Harkness is an amazing writer and storyteller. Her All Souls Trilogy is one of my favorites. I love great storytelling and unforgettable characters. Diana Gabaldon, Sarah J. Maas, Karen Marie Moning. I love to read Amy Bartol, and Laura Kaye as well. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd is still right at the top of the list. Beautiful writing, and such a powerful story! An unforgettable book.
As far as the decision to publish? Romance is my favorite genre, but I always wanted a female character that kept her own identity, dreams, and aspirations, even after the male hero was introduced into her life. So I followed Toni Morrison’s advice: “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” So I did.
Would I be doing this the rest of my life? I don’t know. Writing and publishing are two different things, and I know there’s a lot I have yet to learn. If anything, good writing makes me feel like amateur hour. LOL. But at the end of the day, I’ll do what makes me happy. Whatever that is.

Q: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
In my writing?
     
      A: Yes. Balancing my inner writer, reader, and editor. I have to constantly stay inside the character’s head, while maintaining the reader’s interest, and the writer’s ability to paint a picture: sight, smell, feel, emotional tone, etc. It’s one of the reasons it takes me so long to finish a book. I make sure to read, re-read, revise, until I feel I’ve struck a balance between the three.

    Q: Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you?

     A: They write themselves. They are very real in their world. I always say, I’m just the messenger.

    Q: Do you ever write yourself into the characters?

     A: I don’t think there’s a writer out there that doesn’t bleed a bit into their characters. After all, they are part of us.

  Q: Is writing your full time job, or are you “keeping your day job” so to speak?

     A: For me, writing is much like motherhood: a job which brings self-fulfillment, joy, and heartache, without the paycheck. I still have my ‘day job’. It is how I’m able to self-publish, but I also enjoy teaching as well.  

  Q: If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be and why?

     A: Mother Teresa. Here was a woman who dedicated her whole life to others, while questioning her calling. Did she believe in heaven, hell? What drove her to such dedication? Did her faith falter at times? A million questions. Definitely.

  Q: There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre?

     A: I believe it’s the unconventional and unique journey of two people who despite the odds, fight to brave the course together. 

  Q: In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don’t have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from?

     A: Fans. It’s all up to the fans. Word of mouth. Posting, reviewing. If they root for an indie author, word gets out. It’s the only free way to market I’ve noticed. Otherwise in the very crowded sea of indies, it’s nearly impossible to get noticed.

***Now give me your links so we can get people to your book sites!!!




I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into Esther's life! I know I did!

You really do need to check out this HIGHLY ORIGINAL story. Like Esther said, there really is nothing like this. You won't be sorry...





Synopsis:

On a manhunt for a serial killer, FBI Special Agent Ileana Harper falls through a break in time, ripping her from the present and everything she knows. After forming an uneasy alliance with the man who comes to her rescue, she unearths long-buried family secrets. Spiraling out of control, she clings to memories of Tommy, her partner and best friend of eight years, to keep her sane, fearful she may never see him again.

FBI Special Agent Tommy Colton relies on Ileana to keep him grounded; she’s the closest thing he’s ever had to love in his life. When Ileana disappears, leaving no trace, he falls apart. Without her beside him, Tommy is about to face the biggest challenge of his career, if not his life.

While trying to find a way home, Ileana races to determine the killer’s identity and discovers he might be closer than she realized.

Will she risk everything to catch him, or sacrifice justice to find her way back to Tommy before it’s too late?

***This book contains adult language and situations. Discretion is advised







Also available is...


Book Two:






Synopsis:

Ileana Harper is focused on her future with Tommy Colton, the man she fought so hard to get back to, but not everything is at it seems. Unable to confide in Tommy, Ileana holds tight to her last shred of sanity, struggling with inner demons that could jeopardize their relationship and her career with the FBI. Through it all, Ileana is intent on moving onward and never looking back. Too bad the past won’t stay in the past. Tommy Colton’s love for Ileana Harper kept hope for her safe return alive in his heart. Now, with Ileana by his side and his new job as a DEA agent, Tommy’s life is finally complete -- until a stranger appears, threatening to destroy their bond and tear them apart. Once again, Tommy might lose Ileana; perhaps this time forever. They say love conquers all…but sometimes fate has other plans. What if the past becomes our future?



And...

A Heart Series Novella:




Synopsis:

Can one simple decision alter the rest of your life?
When Christina Reyes agrees to attend a local bar on Valentine's Day, she doesn’t expect to bump into her old college roommate, Ileana Harper. Funny how things happen. One minute you're stopping to greet an old friend, and the next you're literally running into the most perfect male specimen you've ever laid eyes on.

Special agent Brad Nelson’s life is full of engagements, appointments, and obligations—and that’s just during his personal time. Getting a drink with his fellow agents on some made-up holiday isn’t on his agenda. Neither is the gorgeous little brunette that plowed into him. Yet every fiber of his being wants to make room for her.

Some believe events are just coincidence. Some believe we can control our future by the choices we make. But, what if they're wrong? What if there is such thing as fate?
What if some things are just Meant to Be?

Standalone Novella, The Heart Series




HAPPY READING!!!



-Courtney Moctezuma


2 comments:

  1. Excellent question and answer session. I especially like the last question and EM Soto's answer. I definitely want to read from book one +

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    This series is so unique. I immediately fell in love after book one. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete