Sunday, August 20, 2017

Spotlight Sunday: Jennifer Michael


Spotlight Sunday:

Jennifer Michael





We just love Jennifer and think you should too! She writes some of the most swoon worthy romance and we love her dark side too.

We contacted her to do an interview with us for this week's Spotlight Sunday and were so excited when she agreed. I hope you all enjoy learning about her as much as we did!




Q: What is your name?
A: Jennifer Michael

Q: What is the genre that you write?
A: I write romance but I like to bounce around within sub-genres of romance. Right now, the books I have out are on the darker or edgier side, but I definitely plan to branch out as far as my mind will allow.

Q: Where do you live? (You don’t have to be specific)
A: Sunny, Southwest Florida!

Q: Where do you get your ideas?
A: My story ideas come from everywhere: people I love, people who upset me, strangers on the street, ideas that fascinate me, conversations with other authors. Sometimes when I can’t sleep, when I am driving, or when I’m in the shower, my imagination just runs wild and a story maps itself out in my brain.
Also, dark themes fascinate me. Often times, there will be a darker subject matter or topic that grabs hold of me, and my story sort of forms from an area I want to explore and play with. For instance, in Deeper, I wanted to write a story that largely revolved around the subject matter of death, losing people, and the idea of taking a life. Everything else was developed around that theme.

Q: What is the first book that made you cry?
A: The first book that ever made me cry was A Child Called “It.” While this is definitely a heavy book and deserved the emotion that poured from me the truth is I’m a big crier when it comes to books. In real life, it takes a lot to make me cry or really even get upset, but when it comes to fiction, I’m a loose cannon. I cry even over happy scenes. Honestly, most books that I really enjoy, at least make my eyes water a little. I’m telling you, I could probably find something to cry about in a book you deem that happiest one on earth.

Q: What is your writing process like?
A: It’s different for each book and since I’m a new author, my process is still very much evolving. I started out as a pantser writer, basically just sitting down in front of the computer and letting my brain go to town but I seem to be getting more structured with each book I write. My outlines get more and more detailed and intense. I try to write every day even if it’s only a few paragraphs. I know some writers have specific music they listen to or snacks to enjoy while writing but I can’t do those things. While I’m actually writing, I need as few distractions as possible, silence and no yummy foods for me while I’m typing. The process of building the story depends on what came first, the plot or the characters. When a plot idea comes to me first I develop the story and then often mold the characters around that. In these instances, I usually don’t have a good grasp on my characters right away and end up having to rewrite a lot from the first few chapters. When a character speaks to me, I let them come through loud and clear and take me on a journey. I think I’m honestly more comfortable with the former but I’ve done both and sometimes you just have to let things roll.

Q: Does writing energize or exhaust you?
A: Both, but even when it exhausts me, I still love it. Some scenes take a lot out of me, and sometimes I add large pieces of myself to the fiction. For me, doing either of these things really drains me. But there is nothing like when I get it right or nail a big scene. That’s exhilarating.

Q: What are common traps for aspiring writers?
A: Anything that I can share, I’ve learned through the editing process about technical stuff. The things I had to train myself to steer clear of are data dropping and showing vs. telling. It’s so easy just to drop a characters full back story within the first couple chapters and the only thing you’re going to achieve with this is putting your readers to sleep. Showing the actions and emotions of my characters is also something to be very aware of. The more you show, the more your story will come to life. I keep my advice here mainly on the technical side because my author experience has still largely consisted of me writing in my living room so honestly, I’m not sure of much outside of that. As for me, I just try not to get caught up in the negative. I avoid things like dwelling on bad reviews and Facebook drama at all costs. I’m happy just to write what I feel and hopefully some day meet some readers. Give me that and I’m golden.

Q: What advice do you have for writers?
A: I don’t know if I’m in a position to give anyone advice. I’m so new at this and I’m learning every day but if someone was really looking for advice from me, I’d say the things that have helped me through my debut year most, are enjoying the process and having realistic expectations. Write because you love it. Publish because you want to share your stories. Once you lose that, you’re liable to go crazy. As for the expectations, it’s amazing to have dreams and to work hard to achieve those dreams, but for me, I found being a member of the romance community for a long time before I published was very helpful. I’d seen so many authors struggling in the market, and I knew I was in for an uphill battle. I wasn’t expecting any miracles for my first book. I set attainable goals and then worked hard to do a little better with each new story and so far, that’s worked for me. I knew what I was getting into before ever hitting publish. Now, I just do my best to improve each time I go through the process again.

Q: Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?
A: A little bit of both. I try to be original, but there is also that filter inside my head, especially when I’m writing dark stuff that worries about how things will be received. I’ve never taken anything completely out of a story because I decided it was too much but I have toned certain scenes down. I guess I’d say, I take original ideas but still consider what readers will think. I’m not someone who writes according to trends and that’s what works best for me.

Q: How do you select the names of your characters?
A: The leading names take me forever to pick. Sometimes, I begin writing the stories without a name nailed down. I like ones that are a little different. Maybe because I have the most popular name of the year I was born, I like to pick ones that aren’t overused. I do also consider if they’ve been used before in books I’ve read. It’s impossible to pick a name that has never, ever been used in fiction, but I do tend to stay away from ones in the books I’ve loved or very popular books. As for side characters, I like to have a little fun with those. Most often the side characters are named through a mash-up of people in my real life, which my friends get a kick out of. I do the same with locations. For instance, there is a scene in Vengeance in Bloom at Cypress Lake (an actual lake in the story), and I went to Cypress Lake High School.

Q: What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?
A: My team is the best money I could ever spend on anything within my career. I have an amazing group of people behind me that polish my stories and make sure I’m putting out the highest quality I’m able to produce. Now, let me name drop!
Editor: Ashley Williams https://www.facebook.com/AWEditing/
Proofing & formatting: Jovana Shirley with Unforeseen Editing http://www.unforeseenediting.com/
Designer: Letitia Hasser with RBA Designs | Romantic Book Affairs http://www.rbadesigns.com/

Q: What authors did you dislike at first but grew into?
A: I don’t know that this has ever happened to me. I’m very blasé about something not being my cup of tea. I move on, and I’m on to the next. I don’t believe there has ever been an author I’ve strongly disliked what they put out, but if it does happen, I’m always willing to give their next book a second chance.

Q: How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
A: I only have one book sitting around unpublished. It was my first attempt at writing a book, and it ended up being great practice. Then I have my current work in progress. I have a deadline this week, so it’s mostly written but not yet published. I’m pretty good at sticking to the project I’m working on, but there are times when ideas or characters just pop into my head. In those instances, I allow myself to develop or write out what’s calling to me. It’s usually only a chapter or a scene and then I make myself get back to what I’m supposed to be concentrating on. I have about a dozen of those sporadic unfinished chapters or scenes, though.

Q: What does literary success look like to you?
A: Success is relative. It’s different for each author. For me, I consider myself successful if I’m constantly improving. I always want to do a little better or a little more each time, even if that just means conquering a writing technique that I previously struggled with. Of course things like money and lists are always present, but I’m not defining my career by those things.

Q: What’s the best way to market your books?
A: Word of mouth is an author’s greatest tool. There is nothing better than other readers gushing about your books or telling others they are “must reads.”

Q: How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?
A: I learned a lot from the experience of physically writing, working with professionals, and yes, checking out reviews. Through the time spent clacking on the keyboard, I learned where my strengths and weakness lie, and really, just what it takes to finish a book. I learned the most through my editor and proofer. I’m not a trained writer, and working with them was like a crash course in novel writing 101. There is so much gold I’ve picked up during the time we’ve worked together. And for me, reviews help, too. When you start to see something more than once, it gives you pause and kind of helps you determine ways to make your writing better. Plus, I’ve even seen some comments my editor was trying to reinforce within me so that only validates the techniques needing strengthened.

Q: Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
A: I do read my book reviews. Before I ever published, I thought this would be a downfall for me, that I would take it personally. I found that I handle it pretty well. Maybe because I’m a strange reader, I understand that my books just might not be what other people are looking for. I take in whatever helpful criticism I find and work to grow if it’s something that can be improved upon. I move on pretty quickly from reviews from people that just didn’t care for my books. There are so many positive things about the publishing process to dwell on the negative for too long.

Q: Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?
A: Like I said before, there are a lot of personal aspects that I add and the people who know me would be the only ones to be able to spot those but I do try to add in something to every suspenseful type novel that I think most won’t put together. Not as like a trick but something subtle you’d really have to be paying attention to in order to notice. There is one in Deeper that I haven’t seen in any reviews or personal messages.

Q: What was your hardest scene to write?
A: So far, Deeper had the most of me written into it. Wait! Don’t freak out, I know it’s a really dark book. HA! Obviously the actions of the characters were not taken from truth but there ARE scenes within that story that were largely taken from my own life and twisted to fit the story. Those scenes were very difficult to write. There were whole chapters I wrote through tears. Specifically, the single hardest chapter in Deeper was where Rylan gets news about her father. It was emotional and raw for me to get through each word. I actually had to write the chapter twice because the first time I tried to distance myself from it by not writing it in present tense. The chapter was written in a way where Rylan only speaks about what happened but it didn’t work at all. I needed to dive it and write it for real. That was hard.
The last few chapters of Vengeance in Bloom were also difficult. It sounds silly, but I had never “ended” a story before, and I wanted to make sure it was perfect. The books were complicated, and I wanted to be certain everything was tied up in a pretty little bow. I didn’t want any loose ends.

Q: What is your favorite childhood book?
A: I’ve always been a big reader. As a kid, I read a lot of the R.L. Stine and Gary Paulsen with some Baby Sitters Club books thrown in there. As I got a little older, I couldn’t get enough of Harry Potter. I’ve read each of them probably ten times over.

Now give me your links so we can get people to your book sites!!!


Book links:
*All my books are free in Kindle Unlimited*


Deceit in Bloom (Love Unauthorized Book 1)



Cautionary tales don’t usually have happy endings . . .
Raised in foster care. The sister of a whore. The fool who fell for the wrong guy.
Paisley James is all too aware that sometimes fairy tales just don’t exist.
There is no telling where hearts belong or loyalties lie when deceit is in bloom.





Vengeance in Bloom (Love Unauthorized Book 2):


Vengeance is sweet.
Collateral damage is inevitable in a game of revenge. 
Loyalty is gone, and hearts have been shattered.
Paisley and Burke now face the aftermath of deceit, but can they do so together or will their love be a casualty?





Deeper:



Small towns are supposed to be safe—home to idealistic neighborhoods, free from the ugly that taints the world. 
Evil has no bounds though, no matter how high your white picket fence stands. Maplefield is perfect on the outside but corrupt and twisted within.

Rylan Pierce and Callen Bailer meet at a club the community doesn’t speak about.
Rylan is running from her past, but baggage like hers isn’t easy to just leave behind.
Callen lives life on the road, traveling wherever he’s contracted and doing whatever necessary to finish the job, regardless of how illegal or deadly.

Lust drives them together, but depravity cements their bond.
Two people with tarnished souls will either bring each other light or pull one another deeper into the darkness.


*WARNING*
Deeper is a standalone, dark romance that contains strong sexual themes, extreme violence, and explicit language. The scenes containing these triggers are intensely graphic and very detailed. The themes of death/murder, abuse (both physical and sexual), and child neglect/abuse are heavily present within this novel. This is not a thin warning or a light read.






-Courtney Moctezuma

No comments:

Post a Comment