Sunday, April 9, 2017

Spotlight Sunday: R. K. Ryals



Spotlight Sunday:

R. K. Ryals




I stumbled upon Ms. Ryals while going through all the authors who were going to be at the Bluegrass signing this month. I looked her up on Facebook, and Amazon. I looked at a few of her books available to purchase, and fell in love. I bought quite a few to read and have her sign at Bluegrass. The first book I have read by R. K. is The Story of Awkward.

That was it. I was done for. This book was so good. I am so glad R. K. wrote it, because I feel like things like this should be addressed in the real world where image is everything.

But, that's me getting off track. Not only is Ms. Ryals a great author, she's a great person! So let's take a look at the person behind the books, shall we?


Let's Get Started:

Q: What is your name?

A: R.K. Ryals


Q: What is the genre that you write?


​A: I write young adult and new adult paranormal romance, contemporary romance, and fantasy.


Q: Where do you live? (You don’t have to be specific)


​A: In Southeast Mississippi


Q: Where do you get your ideas?


​A: Inspiration is a strange thing. Most of mine comes from personal experiences, from life in general, and from people I've met through the years. I lean heavily on human emotion and nature. Having suffered loss, poverty, and bullying in my own life, I use that when writing. I use my desire to see change in the world. My ideas are built from that. Even my fantasies and paranormal books are built off of human emotions.


Q: What is the first book that made you cry?


​ A: Little Women. I was about nine years old when I read it. I fell in love with the story and the journey. It was the catalyst for my love of classic literature as well.


Q: What is your writing process like?


​A: I spend every day writing, even if I only have a few minutes to spare. I don't use an outline, but I always have a basic character list and plot. I let the characters take me from there. I write best early in the morning and late at night, and I write while listening to music. I have a playlist for every book I write. Music brings a certain emotional element to the writing process for me that really helps channel where I'm going with a story.


Q: Does writing energize or exhaust you?


​A: Both. Writing bleeds me. It allows me to channel things I would probably keep bottled up otherwise. But it also builds me up. It teaches me things about myself. Putting words on paper is like laying a path. The hike down the trail is exhausting, but the destination always leaves me feeling new. Reborn.


Q: What are common traps for aspiring writers?


​A: The desire to quit. Writing is a passion for me, but it's one of the most difficult 'jobs' I've ever done. Because, while writing itself is a passion filled journey, the publishing, marketing, and social aspect is just plain exhausting. It's draining, both emotionally and physically. Quitting often seems easier than facing rejection. It's easy to get burnt out quick. It may seem weird to say that quitting is a trap, but it is. You don't want to fall into that trap.


Q: What advice do you have for writers?

 
​A: Remember that the best things in life never come easy. That rejection and promotion is only part of the journey. Write for yourself first. Tell yourself a story before becoming the reader and then tearing it apart. Writing is a complicated process. Writing is only the first step. The best step. Then comes the editing, rewrites, more editing, and more rewrites. Keep fighting, keep writing, and keep pushing through the obstacles. The finish line is worth the struggles.


Q: Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?


​A: Original definitely. Which isn't always easy. There are very few stories that haven't been told. Being original is about taking what you know best and shaping it into a story.


Q: How do you select the names of your characters?


​A: I actually don't have a naming method. I just go with a name that feels right. There's usually no rhyme or reason behind a name selection for me.


Q: What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?


​A: Money I've donated to fight illiteracy, bullying, eating disorders, and autism. All of these causes hold a special, personal place in my heart, and I donate what I can to these causes yearly from my book funds. For first time writers, I also recommend using some of your earnings for good marketing. Bookbub, for example.


Q: What authors did you dislike at first but grew into?


​A: I've honestly never completely disliked an author's work. There may be books I've liked more than others, but mostly I've enjoyed everything I've read. If I had to list one, I'd have to say Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It was a required literary read in highschool for me, and I struggled through it. Surprisingly, I look back on it fondly now. Because it was works like Heart of Darkness that fostered my love of symbolism and using writing to raise questions about certain things in society.


Q: How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?


​A: lol! At least a half dozen. I'm constantly working on projects, and I have a big backlist.


Q: What does literary success look like to you?


​A: A finished book. Passion. Success is telling a story and connecting with readers. It's loving what you do.


Q: What’s the best way to market your books?


​A: Social media, word of mouth, a newsletter, and targeted discount promotions have all been highly successful tools for me.


Q: How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?


​A: The first book is painful. It's like giving birth to your first child. You know you have this story to tell, but you've never done it on paper before. So, like with a newborn, there are all of these firsts that you struggle with. All of these mistakes you make before you really find your voice. Once that first book is written, and you have a better understanding of who you are as a writer it gets easier. Personally, it took three years for me to write my first book. It took even longer for me to put it out there and open it up to criticism. I will always have a special place in my heart for my first book because it taught me what not to do when writing, and it gave me my voice. It gave me something to build on and learn from.


Q: Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?


A: I don't always read my reviews, but when I do, I learn from them. Both the good and the bad. Bad reviews are never easy to read, never easy to take well, but they teach a writer the most. IF they are constructively critical rather than personally damning. I've learned not to take the bad reviews too personally. You have to remember that people are using their disposable income to buy your books, and they have the right to leave their personal opinions. It's really easy to tell the difference between true, constructive bad reviews and trolls who are only there to tear you down. Take something away from the constructive reviews and make yourself better and leave the personal attacks alone.


Q: Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?


​A: All of the time. People who know me really well would definitely recognize them.


Q: What was your hardest scene to write?


​A: The hardest scene I've ever written was in my book Hawthorne & Heathcliff. It was a gravesite scene because it was an extremely personal scene for me.


Q: What is your favorite childhood book?


A: The Little House on the Prairie because I have the fondest memories of my mother reading it to me. I was this wide-eyed child fascinated by the Ingalls' journey, the courage this family had through all of their struggles.

Now give me your links so we can get people to your book sites!!!


Website: www.authorrkryals.com
twitter: @RKRyals
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RKRyals
AmazonUS:
https://www.amazon.com/R.K.-Ryals/e/B005QBDOPG/


Add any other links or updates that you feel would be helpful in convincing readers that they absolutely must buy right this minute or they’ll die!!

I am also on instagram at @rkryals



The Story of Awkward:



Blurb:

If you are looking for a happy book about beautiful people, this is the wrong story. If you are looking for a narrative without emotion, without regrets, and without mistakes, this is definitely the wrong story. This is by no means an uncomplicated tale about uncomplicated people. It is by no means sweet or light. This story is ugly. This story is complicated. This story is emotional. This story is tragic. In short, this story is about being awkward. Peregrine Storke is an artist with an odd sketchbook full of pictures she’s drawn since she was a child. It is a book full of strange sketches and awkward characters, for there is no better way to hide from bullying and life than to create a world of your own. With a stroke of her pencil, she has given life to a spectacled princess, a freckle-nosed king, a candy loving troll, a two-horned unicorn, and a graceless fairy. At nineteen, Peregrine leaves her home, her sketchbook, and awkwardness behind. But what happens when something goes wrong in the world of Awkward? Trapped inside of her complex realm with the bully she thought to leave behind, Peregrine discovers there is nothing worse than falling for your own villain.




****Review Available For Viewing****




-Courtney Moctezuma


No comments:

Post a Comment